between Brunei Darussalam and
the Republic of Korea
on the Occasion of the State Visit of His Excellency Moon Jae-in
President of the Republic of Korea
to Brunei Darussalam 10-12 March 2019
Bandar Seri Begawan
1. At the invitation of His Majesty Sultan Haji Hassanal Bolkiah Mu’izzaddin Waddaulah, Sultan and Yang Di-Pertuan of Brunei Darussalam, His Excellency Moon Jae-in, President of the Republic of Korea, made a State Visit to Brunei Darussalam on 10-12 March 2019.
2. The meeting between the two Leaders took place at Istana Nurul Iman, where they expressed satisfaction on the warm and friendly ties between Brunei Darussalam and the Republic of Korea.
3. The two Leaders had fruitful and cordial discussions on the bilateral cooperation and exchanged views on regional and international matters. They also greatly valued the further deepening of the bilateral relations since the establishment of diplomatic relations between the two countries in January 1984.
4. His Excellency Moon Jae-in emphasized the ROK’s continued commitment to cooperation with ASEAN, which will be carried out under the spirit of prioritizing the 3Ps—People, Prosperity and Peace. His Majesty expressed appreciation for His Excellency’s continued commitment to the region, and His Excellency also expressed support for Brunei Darussalam’s role as the Country Coordinator for the ASEAN-ROK Dialogue Relations for 2018-2021.
5. In the year marking the 30th anniversary of the establishment of ASEAN-ROK Dialogue Relations, His Majesty looked forward to the ASEAN-ROK Commemorative Summit to be held in November in the ROK, which will provide the ROK and ASEAN with an excellent opportunity to take stock of the past 30 years of ASEAN-ROK Dialogue Relations.
6. Both Leaders underscored the importance of achieving a harmony between the Brunei Darussalam’s Wawasan 2035 and the New Southern Policy, thereby generating a synergy for further bolstering the bilateral ties in the years ahead
7. His Majesty congratulated the ROK on the achievement in the socio-economic and development fields, and welcomed the Korean government’s commitment towards strengthening cooperation with the region under the New Southern Policy. His Excellency commended the Government of Brunei Darussalam on the implementation of strategic national development policies towards the achievement of the Brunei Darussalam’s Wawasan 2035. The two Leaders also agreed to jointly explore potential opportunities in realizing their respective national visions so that these can result in synergy effect.
8. The Leaders expressed satisfaction with the significant progress in the bilateral cooperation across various fields achieved since His Majesty’s State Visit to the Republic of Korea in December 2014. Both Leaders emphasized the importance of strengthening collaboration in the areas of trade and investment, infrastructure development, connectivity, people-to-people exchanges and defense cooperation, particularly to actively explore opportunities for expanding cooperation in education, agriculture, halal industry, tourism, energy, SMEs, FinTech, science and technology, ICT, smart cities and intellectual property.
9. The Leaders agreed to continue the close exchanges at all levels including at the Brunei Darussalam – Republic of Korea Policy Consultative Meeting (PCM). They looked forward to the convening of the fifth PCM to be hosted by Brunei Darussalam in the near future.
10. The Leaders emphasized the importance of advancing trade and investment cooperation, a key pillar in the bilateral relations. Brunei Darussalam appreciated the ROK’s participation in the infrastructure projects in Brunei Darussalam including the construction of the Raja Isteri Pengiran Anak Saleha Bridge and the ongoing Temburong Bridge project. His Excellency expressed the hope to contribute further to the strengthening of the infrastructure of Brunei Darussalam, and in this regard, Brunei Darussalam welcomed investments and business presence from the ROK.
11. Both Leaders expressed appreciation at the long-standing cooperation in the energy field, and looked forward to continuing discussions on exploring further collaboration in both the upstream and downstream oil and gas sectors as well as re-establishing cooperation with additional areas such as LNG value chain cooperation.
12. The leaders also looked forward to the joint capacity building activities in Renewable Energy that Brunei Darussalam and the Republic of Korea will implement as co-chairs of the Renewable and Alternative Power Generation Work Stream under the East Asia Summit Cooperation.
13. The Leaders took note of the continued cooperation between both governments in the area of E-Government and welcomed the ongoing discussions between the two sides on the renewal of the MOU in this area.
14. The two Leaders welcomed the diffusion of digital technology and its application in people’s daily lives so that the well-being and the quality of life in the two countries continue to improve in the future.
15. Both Leaders noted with satisfaction the active cooperation in air services and tourism, and acknowledged the positive impact of increased number of direct flights between Bandar Seri Begawan and Incheon since December 2017.
16. Both Leaders emphasized the importance of people-to-people exchanges which serve as a valuable foundation for the bilateral relations and welcomed the active engagement between students, youth, tourists, MSMEs, media and government officials. They agreed to further enhance this cooperation, thereby strengthening mutual understanding and ties of friendship between the peoples of the two countries.
17. Both sides recalled the signing of the MOU on Defense Cooperation on 13 September 2018 and expressed confidence that its implementation would further enhance cooperation in the security and defense industries. Both Leaders looked forward to exploring deeper collaboration including in the defense industry and the field of defense technology.
18. Both Leaders welcomed the signing of the MOU between the Brunei Intellectual Property Office (BruIPO) and the Korean Intellectual Property Office (KIPO) for the Recognition of KIPO as an International Searching Authority and International Preliminary Examination Authority (ISA/IPEA) under the Patent Cooperation Treaty, which will pave the way for cooperation in intellectual property rights.
19. Brunei Darussalam expressed appreciation for the ROK’s continued support for ASEAN Centrality in the evolving regional architecture, and both sides reaffirmed their commitment to strengthen cooperation through the various ASEAN-led mechanisms such as the ASEAN Plus Three (APT), East Asia Summit (EAS), ASEAN Regional Forum (ARF) and ASEAN Defence Ministers’ Meeting-Plus (ADMM-Plus).
20. His Majesty looked forward to facilitating the ROK’s continued engagement in efforts towards further deepening ASEAN-ROK relations guided by the Joint Declaration on Comprehensive Partnership; Joint Declaration on ASEAN-ROK Strategic Partnership for Dialogue Relation; and ASEAN-ROK Plan of Action 2016-2020 as well as expressed appreciation for the ROK’s New Southern Policy which aims to further strengthen and deepen ASEAN-ROK Strategic Partnership.
21. Both Leaders reaffirmed their shared commitment to multilateralism, support for the purposes and principles of the United Nations Charter and compliance with international law. Both sides reiterated their support for close cooperation in areas of common interest through dialogue and consultations at various regional forums including the Forum for East Asia-Latin America Cooperation, Asia Cooperation Dialogue and Asia-Europe Meeting as building blocks in further strengthening the rules-based international system.
22. The two Leaders reaffirmed their support for preserving and strengthening the rules-based multilateral trading system, with the World Trade Organization at its core. Brunei Darussalam welcomed the ROK’s intention to host the Asia Pacific Economic Cooperation in 2025 as a demonstration of commitment to enhancing regional economic integration. Both sides will continue to work closely towards the expeditious conclusion of the Regional Comprehensive Economic Partnership.
23. Brunei Darussalam commended the ROK’s efforts for its leading role in the recent development on the Korean Peninsula. Both leaders underlined the importance of maintaining the momentum of dialogue in order for the current process to move forward. Brunei Darussalam ensured its commitment to continue to support consultations and cooperation among the parties concerned to foster a favorable environment for dialogue. Both leaders emphasized the need for joint efforts by the international community towards the goal of complete denuclearization of the Korean Peninsula and establishment of lasting peace and stability in the region.
24. His Excellency President Moon Jae-in expressed his deep gratitude to His Majesty the Sultan and Yang Di-Pertuan of Brunei Darussalam for the warm welcome and hospitality extended to him and his delegation during the visit. His Excellency responded that he looks forward to reciprocating the welcome on the occasion of the ASEAN-ROK Commemorative Summit, to be held in the ROK in 2019.
Bandar Seri Begawan, 11 March 2019
Copyright © Sep 2018 | Ministry of Foreign Affairs. All rights reserved
Privacy Statement |