Skip Ribbon Commands
Skip to main content



The Education section provides the following services and assistance:-

  1. Oversee the academic and students' welfare for the Bruneian students who are studying various disciplines at any institution and university in Malaysia which includes East Malaysia.
  2. As a focal person for oversea students who are applying to study in Brunei Darussalam either scholarships or self-funded.
  3. Strengthen the education cooperation and information between both countries.
  4. Provide counselling for Brunei students who have problems with their study
  5. As an advisor to scholarship and education loan scheme students regarding financial matters and any necessary application.

Brunei Vision 2035

Brunei vision 2035, aims to transform Brunei Darussalam by 2035 as a nation widely recognised for the accomplishment of its educated and highly skilled people as measured by the highest international standards; a quality of life that is among the top 10 nations in the world; and a dynamic and sustainable economy with income per capita within the top 10 countries in the world.

Study in Malaysia

Studying abroad may be one of the most beneficial experiences for a student. The Universitas 21 Report ranked Malaysia's higher education system 25th out of 50 countries it assessed. In the QS World University Rankings 2018, there are five of Malaysia's universities namely Universiti Malaya (114), Universiti Putra Malaysia (229), Universiti Kebangsaan Malaysia (230), Universiti Teknologi Malaysia (253), Universiti Sains Malaysia (264) are in the top 500 Qs Global Universities ranking and currently rank among Asia's top 100 universities. Furthermore Kuala Lumpur ranks 41 out of 100 QS Best Student Cities 2017. Higher education institutions in Malaysia offer variety courses ranging from certificate, diploma, undergraduate and postgraduate level.


Student VISA application

To study in Malaysia you will need to apply for admission to an institution and a student visa (student pass) from the Malaysian government. Student visa will be managed by the institution or university and they will forward the application to the Education Malaysia Global Services (EMGS) and the Ministry of Home Affairs (Immigration Department) for approval. The immigration department will issue the student visa to every students via their respective institution or university and this will take approximately 1-2 months to be completed (New application or renewal)

 If you are in Malaysia as a tourist (holding a social pass), you will be required to exit the country before you apply for a student visa.

 IMPORTANT: Once your Visa Approval Letter (VAL) has been issued, you may make arrangements to travel to Malaysia as a student.



Currently, there are 541 Bruneian students (Dated 11 Disember 2017) study in both East and West Malaysia. The number of Bruneian students has risen by more than 100% over 3 years ago.

Reporting form

All Brunei students in Malaysia are required to register with The Brunei High Commission in Malaysia via Education Attache' Unit, Malaysia. This includes MOE, DANA, BAS, MORA, UBD, UNISSA, KUPUSB, SBPP, MOFAT, MOH, In-Service, Private and Self-funding students.

Download the reporting form: ATTACH and return back via e-mail to the education section at

Reporting Form.docx

Trunk application

Please submit your application letter two (2) weeks before we arrange for the shipping to Brunei Darussalam (Only applicable to scholarship students)

Finance matters

For reimbursement claim, please submit or e-mail your application letter to or and please provide the original payment slip as substantiation.


Question: Where to choose and enrol for institution in Malaysia?

Answer: Please ensure that the institution or university is licensed and approved to take in International students. Please make sure that the institution and university is approved by the Ministry of Higher Education (MOHE).

Question: Do I have to report as the student to The Brunei High Commission in Malaysia?

Answer: Yes, every Bruneian students whether they are under scholarships or self-funded must report their existence as a student by filling the reporting form given here at The Brunei High Commission, Putrajaya or can just email to the education attache'


Question: Do I need a student pass (VISA) to enter Malaysia?

Answer: Yes, please see above (Student VISA)


Question: Can I open a local bank account?

Answer: Once you have your student visa, you can apply and open a bank account at any local bank in Malaysia. Scholarship and education loan scheme students under Brunei government must open their bank account at MAYBANK.


Question: What are my accommodation options?

Answer: Institutions and universities mostly offer accommodation options for new international students inside the campus or outside the campus (close proximity to the campus). Off-campus accommodation in the form of apartment or condominium are also available.


Question: When do I receive my allowance? (Applicable to scholarship students and education loan scheme students)

Answer: Monthly allowance will be paid at the beginning of each month


Question: How do I apply for sponsored ticket from the government? (Applicable to scholarship students and education loan scheme students)

Answer: Applicants can just e-mail their application letter to the education unit at The Brunei High Commission in Malaysia stating the date and time of the required ticket. Do submit the application letter two (2) weeks before departure. Students may also purchase the flight ticket on their own and may request for reimbursement from The Brunei High Commission.


Question: How do I apply for trunk? (Applicable to scholarship students and education loan scheme students)

Answer: Please see above (Trunk Application)

Contact details

Education Attache: Sophan bin Afandi

Phone number: 03-88887777

Address: No.2, Jalan Diplomatik 2/5. Presint 15, 62050, Putrajaya, Wilayah Persekutuan, Putrajaya